Wednesday 4 December 2013

Topic 3: Explaining critical reading/thinking by using two specific examples.

Critical Reading/Thinking was a hard concept for me to get my head around however now that I think i understand it I will explain it to you. what i have learnt from Critical Reading and Thinking is that it is more like a style of learning instead of a theory. To be able to use it as a learning style you must have the ability to annaylise and question things instead of taking them as they are, in addition you must be able to understand something and then put it In your words which will help you understand it more and make learning it alot easier. Using it as a learning style will help you have a much better understanding of the info and a much deeper one. (Cooke 2013)



Critical thinking is used in nearly everyday life were we have to make big decisions such as deciding to go to college, buying a car, where your going to live, if your going to get a job and so on. Two specific examples that relate to me would be 1) deciding to repeat my leaving certificate and 2) deciding on going for a night out.

my first example of critical thinking was a very serious one and had to be thought over and discussed with many people. After speaking with someone who also repeated I had to take on board all the information I had received and considerate in my own head of why it was a good idea for me. After fully analysing my options I evaluated that repeating would be the best option for me.

My second example is not a very serious example of critical thinking but it is strongly used here. Deciding on going for a night out needs to be discussed thoroughly of when, who with, where and why and then analysed like how to get there and back, and what if. After these question we can then decide if it can be considered.

 Reference:
COOKE, D. (2013) Communication and the learning environment. [ lecture notes] Model to generate critical thinking. Institute of Technology Blanchardstown, Lecture Theatre 1, 5th November 2013.
San Antonio, TX (PRWEB) December 29, 2006 [Available:] http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/12/prweb494245.htm [Accessed:] 2nd December 2013




No comments:

Post a Comment